This wonderfully moist gingerbread cake comes with a luxuriously chocolatey twist.
Serves: 10 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 50g Moser Roth 70% Dark Chocolate
- 200g The Pantry Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 225g The Pantry Plain Flour
- 2 heaped tsp. The Pantry Baking Powder
- 75g Greenvale Salted Butter
- 200g Brooklea Low Fat Natural Yogurt
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 25g Cocoa Powder 2 heaped tsp.
- Stonemill Ground Ginger
- 1 level tsp. Stonemill Cinnamon
- Black Pepper
- 1 x 20cm square cake tin
-Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
-Line the base of the baking tin with some non-stick paper and lightly grease the sides.
-Break up the chocolate and cut up the butter.
-Put in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of boiling water – make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water – until they are both melted.
-Add the yogurt to the mixture and allow to cool a little.
-Put the flour, baking powder, spices and the cocoa powder in a bowl, add a few grindings of black pepper and mix well.
-Whisk the eggs with the brown sugar until frothy.
-Add the eggs and the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together.
-Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes, until firm to the touch.
-Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
-Cut into chunks and serve.