This red onion chutney has really cheered up my meals recently. And did I tell you I hate dry food? Usually if there’s sauce or gravy going, I’m all over it. That’s probably the Northerness in me (which always need a capital N).
I love a good relish or chutney that I can spread on my bacon sarnies, eat with meat and sometimes a dollop in the centre of my soup. And knowing this is syn free is truly a relaxing thought.
- 1 kg red onions halved & thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 tbsp granulated sweetener *4 syns if you ate the WHOLE lot
- 200ml balsamic vinegar
- 150ml apple cider vinegar
- 150ml malt vinegar
- Place everything in the slow cooker and place a sheet of tin foil on top before placing on the slow cooker’s lid.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours without stirring. If it’s too vinegary, cook it for longer until it’s toned down to your liking.
- Spoon in to sterilised jars while hot and screw the lid in to place and place in the fridge. I personally think mine might last 2-3 months from the vinegar’s acidity but will keep you posted.